The Gordon Highlanders Museum is housed in the former home and studio of prominent 19th-century Scottish artist, Sir George Reid PRSA.
Reid purchased the original cottage in 1867 and named it ‘St Luke’s’ after the Patron Saint of artists. He commissioned Glasgow architect William Leiper to extend the property, creating a large studio with a stair tower and musicians’ gallery. He then painted the building in an attempt to hide its granite brickwork.
In 1883, Reid married Mia Best – a keen gardener. In her honour, Reid built St Luke’s gardens which became a rich source of inspiration for his painting.
Following Reid’s death in 1913, his wife sold the house in 1921. It was then owned privately until 1960 when the Ministry of Defence purchased it for the Regiment.
In 1994, The Gordon Highlanders were amalgamated with the Queen’s Own Highlanders and the Trustees of The Gordon Highlanders bought the building from the MOD. The building was then further extended and reopened in 1997, with a new and exciting range of visitor facilities.
Today, The Gordon Highlanders Museum has been the recipient of numerous awards and is one of only two 5 star visitor attractions in the City of Aberdeen.We continue to host thought provoking exhibitions and are considered a highly regarded host venue for events throughout the year. However, we are most proud of our innovative education and lifelong learning programme that continues to inspire thousands of schoolchildren across City and Shire.